giselleco

Xpresso Reads

Reading is my drug. I love to get lost in a great book to escape into worlds that are usually much cooler than mine! >.<

Linked
Imogen Howson
The Beautiful and the Cursed
If I Were You (Inside Out Trilogy, #1)
Lisa Renee Jones
As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
Rhiannon Frater

Room: A Novel

Room: A Novel - Wow, this was an amazing book! Brilliantly written. I haven't read a book I liked this much since The Hunger Games.The book is narrated by Jack, a 5 year old boy. I was a bit skeptical at first, but he was the perfect narrator for this story! When I started it was a bit weird, but after only 10 pages I got used to it and found it very well written, realistic from a child's point of view, but not simplistic or obnoxious like some may expect. Being in Jack's mind makes you see how a child takes in and makes sense of things that he doesn't understand. It's quite comical at times, but it's also surprisingly deep and emotional. I don't want to give away why they're in the Room, but imagine a 5 year old boy who's never seen anything but a 12x12ft room that he lives in with his mom (never even felt wind!). To him, that room is the whole world. They have a TV, but things in TV are make believe and on its own planet. But then, because he's 5 now, Ma "unlies" and explains how Outside is real and what's in TV is in Outside - No way Jose! I wish I could say more but I don't want to give anything away, and this is a story that the less you know about beforehand, the better experience you will have reading it. I read the book in a bit more than 24hrs. I couldn't put it down, and when I did I would think about the story and ponder it. It's awful to know that things like this could and actually does happen and how hard and confusing it must all be for a child so young and innocent. I very highly recommend this book! I can't say it better than this quote on the cover "Room is a book to read in one sitting. When it's over you look up: the world looks the same but you are somehow different and that feeling lingers for days".